Well, good news! Titus' bili levels came down enough that they took him out from under the lights, praise God! He has a very nice tan :). Seriously, he's darker than me and must take after his daddy. What's really fun about that is we no longer have to limit the time we have to hold him. I'm trying to be there as often as I can when it's time to feed him, so that he starts to associate food with Mama. It should help when the time comes to actually be able to breastfeed. That won't be for another few weeks, as the reflexes on how to coordinate sucking, swallowing and breathing do not develop until somewhere around week 34 or 35. I don't mind the pumping, and am soaking up getting to hold him as much as I can while I am still at the hospital.
Yesterday Nick got to change Titus' diaper for the first time, which was fun for both of us. His little hiney is so TINY and skinny! The diapers they have are too big, but at least they stay on his little body. It's challenging to change a preemie in an isolette (I got the chance to do it today, as I was feeling much more able to stand for a period of time), as you put your hands in through the holes in the sides and have many wires to contend with. He has a knack for bending his legs up right when you want to mess with the tabs that stick the diaper on, effectively blocking you from doing anything easily. Who knew a 31 weeker could be ornery?
Also, with the lights being off he doesn't have to wear his stylish sunglasses anymore. That means we get to see his whole face, and all the sweet little expressions he makes. Don't worry, we'll have plenty of pictures. Today while I was holding him and he was wriggling around because he was hungry and awaiting his food, he was moving his arms around and fishhooked himself with one of his fingers, with one eye open. UNFORTUNATELY, we did not have the camera with us at that time. I'm so disappointed, because we were having quite the laugh and I would have loved to share it with you all. We'll have ample opportunity, I'm sure. He's smiled at us quite a few times, as well, which is just about more than my heart can handle. It's SOOOOO cute!
The nurses have been very encouraging, excited that I'm able to get a good quantity and quality of milk out (one commented on how fatty it is, and that he should be gaining weight well when the time comes), and helpful showing us ways that we can participate in his care. We can change his diaper and take his temperature before each feeding, which is really fun and feels more "normal" that our current circumstances. They were joking that we'll be able to do everything soon enough and they'll just sit back and watch. I don't mind, that's for sure!
I'm doing much better today, just feeling more sure on my feet and capable of walking to see Titus now, though slowly and carefully. I haven't had much dizziness, etc., and my blood count came back higher than it was previously, another praise! It should continue to get higher and higher as my body continues to replenish my blood cells on its own. I've also been feeling more hungry, etc., and able to eat food easily instead of feeling icky. Thank you all for praying fervently for us in all of these areas! We truly appreciate it.
Tonight my parents are coming to spend dinner time with me, as they will be leaving in the morning. I'm sad to see them go, but know we'll be together again soon. They have been INVALUABLE these past few weeks, and we are SO grateful to have had them here on such short notice. Thank you, Mom and Dad, we could not have had such a smooth time with the kids without you. I know they had a wonderful time playing with you. Thank you for taking such good care of them, Nick, and me.
Tonight Nick will be taking Stella on a Daddy/daughter date. They'll be having dinner and then going to see "The Sound of Music" musical on base. Stella is very excited to see the play, and mentioned that she won't be dancing just watching. :) She's so funny. Ezra will be going to a friend's birthday party. His buddy, Lydia, is turning 2. Should be fun!
Our prayer requests haven't changed much, except for the prayers that have been answered already. Thank you all, again, for dedicating yourselves to prayer on our behalf. Our Lord is faithful and has heard and answered.
One thing I did think of was for our kids, who have been struggling on and off with runny, icky noses and watery, itchy, red eyes. Please pray for them to get healthy so they can spend more time with Mommy and get to actually touch Titus for the first time. Stella was asking when she got to see him, but we were unwilling to let her hold his hand yet. Germ control is of the essence!
We'll check in again tomorrow or the next day. Take care!
Friday, January 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment