Monday, January 18, 2010

Happy one week birthday, Titus!



Can you believe it's been a week already? I'm amazed, especially since I'm feeling so well after all that happened only one week ago. God is GOOD.

Today was a big day for Titus, too. His bili levels have fallen significantly, so he's permanently off the lights. Yeay! He's also almost up to his full feeding amount (33 mL this evening, and full tomorrow morning at 36mL), so his last IV line was pulled this afternoon. He's no longer getting supplemental food is what that means, only Mama's milk with a little fortifier in it. Praise the Lord! He is doing so well, especially only being a week since delivery and 32 weeks gestational age.

Today everyone came for a visit after lunch, and Stella got to hang out with Mommy for the afternoon. We were able to visit Titus twice in that time, and with Mama holding him she got to see him up close. She was so sweet and caring of him, putting the blanket back over him when he pulled it off, etc. She has such a tender, mothering heart for him already. She also enjoyed chatting it up with the nurses (surprise, surprise) and telling them all about everything. She got a good laugh, too, when Mommy changed Titus' diaper. I was cleaning him up when he blasted me with a load of poo. Yes, ALL OVER MY HAND. Somehow it only got on my hand and the diaper, and not all over his bedding, which I don't quite understand as it was traveling at a rocket-propelled speed out his little rear. I yelped, but maintained enough composure to laugh it off and get it cleaned up quickly, before he attempted another round. This kid is going to be our joker, I think.

So it's been a big day of great steps for us, for which I am immensely thankful. I'm looking at going home on Wednesday, though I have some trepidation about it. I'm so torn, having such a tiny and helpless one here, and the rest of my family at home. I wish I could split in two, and do both at the same time. Please pray for Nick and I as we try to figure out how this will work for us, visiting the hospital with two small ones at home. Eventually, when I'm able to nurse Titus, this will be even more challenging. I'm hopeful that once we figure out a new routine, things will be better. A big challenge at the moment is that I won't be able to drive for another week and a half. We've had many offers for shuttle service, though. It's just a matter of coordinating all that.

We also have gotten to know the family of Ezra's NICU buddy, Kennedy (a boy) a little more. They live only one village over from us and have two girls the same ages as ours. Please keep their family in your prayers as well, as we travel this road together.

On a sadder note, there was a new admission to the NICU yesterday evening. I don't know much about the baby/family, as I have yet to actually meet the mom, but I do know the baby is only 25 weeks gestational age (a MUCH more precarious situtation). PLEASE PRAY for this little one. My heart was very heavy (still is) for this precious little baby as while I was visiting Titus tonight, it seemed things were not going well at all. They had even pulled the crash cart over, which is a frightening thing to see. I left shortly thereafter, as it was not a good time to be in there. I did not see the mother as I left, and really wanted to pray with her right then and there. I have not seen a father around, either, so please lift them in your prayers. I can't even imagine how she must be feeling right now.

Thank you all, again, for all your love and support, notes of encouragement, meals, help with our children, I could go on and on. Know the Lord is working mightily through you, and we give Him all the glory and praise.

2 comments:

Renae said...

Thanks for these updates, Heather. I have been praying for you guys often. Simon was also 4 pounds when he was born (at 34 weeks gestation), and so much of this is so familiar. I will especially be praying for you as you go home this week. I thought leaving Simon at the hospital was the hardest thing I had ever done . . . until I had to leave Ian. We only had four or five days of going back and forth, but it was really hard on this momma's heart -- when I was at the hospital I wanted to be home and when I was home I wanted to be at the NICU. Still, now that everyone is home, it seems to have gone quickly in retrospect. All that to say, you are much on my heart and I'm praying for grace and peace for you and praising God right along with you that your sweet boy is here and safe and healthy.

Tony, Mary, Mikenzie and Jaislinn said...

Happy 1 week birthday, Titus!!! :)