Thursday, January 21, 2010

I'm home!

Hello, everybody! I'm typing this from the comfort of our computer at HOME. I'm so thankful to be home and comfortable again. I officially left the hospital last night about dinner time. It was a mixed/pseudo good-bye, as we'll still be spending a LOT of time there, and it's really become kind of a second home. After 3 1/2 weeks, you get into a new kind of routine. Plus, the nursing staff has been so wonderful, and genuinely caring of our family that it was a little hard to leave. And, of COURSE, when you're baby is still there, all you want to do is be with him every moment. It's like living a double life at the moment, so we're trying to just take it day by day and be flexible, especially to the other kids as Titus is not as dependent on us absolutely being there all the time at the moment (he's fed via tube and not by me right now is the main thing). When we actually start nursing, that will change, but will hopefully be a shorter period of time and mean he's coming home soon. We are thankful for all the help we're getting; it's making this transition easier than it would be otherwise!

Little Titus is doing famously still. His nurse today mentioned that when they weighed him last night he had gained a whole quarter pound. Whether that is accurate or not, he was going to double check tonight, but apparently it's not exactly unheard of. He is eating very well, and when put to breast is a voracious little guy looking for his food. It's so surprising to me, seeing him so small and yet so vivacious! He will pick his head clear off my chest and slam it back down again. He is a strong little one.

This morning Grandma and Ezra drove me up to the hospital (about one more week until I can drive myself!) and stayed for a bit. Ezra got to touch his brother for the first time, and didn't seem to want to stop. He held his hand, touched his toes, patted his head, looked for all his facial features (got to make sure he has two ears!), and helped Mommy hold the feeding tube and syringe. He had a great time getting to know Titus a little more, and wanted to help any way he could. He asked to hold him, but that won't happen for a while!
Nick stopped in for a visit before he went to work this morning, and got some good Daddy time. This evening he came after work to pick me up, and got some more good snuggle time. I got to give Titus a bath for the first time (his first bath given by me, not the first ever), and finally washed off the awesome hair gel from his ultrasound. He looked like his hair was curly for a few days, which was cute. He did fairly well for the bath, not crying the whole time or anything. He fussed a bit, especially when I had to turn him on his side or what have you. He was comfortable, and didn't want to move! It's good to be able to be involved in the care of Titus so much, and not have the nurses doing everything all the time (One could get WAY to used to that...), as coming home could be much more difficult if you're used to someone else feeding, changing, bathing, etc. I'm thankful for a nursing staff that really encourages parent involvement wherever possible, especially when they are so supportive of all we try and patient with our questions.


One little exciting thing for me: I finished my first knitted item for Titus. His first hat made by Mama. I think it turned out perfect, although I don't think it will fit for too long!

3 comments:

the author said...

Heather - the pictures with this post are GREAT! I love Ezra kissing and loving on his little brother, and the hat is so, so, so perfect.
It's wonderful to hear how well everything is going. It must be so hard, but with God's grace your family makes it look so easy!!! Thanks for taking time out to update us and post pictures. Every second with your kids (whether at this home or the home up on the hill) is precious and I am grateful for the time you spend updating us!

Bethany said...

Yay, Titus! That hat is SO cute.

Faith said...

I love the hat! And the daddy/baby pictures are just precious. :)