I’m free!
Well, free from all cords, tubes, and wires anyway. Last night I got my last dose of IV antibiotics and they took out my IV port. Now I don’t have to be quite so careful about having the kiddos up on the bed with me and such, which is nice. They have been very sweet and careful with their Mommy so far! Ezra only knocked me once, and that was my fault since I was tickling him. I can’t resist tickling that boy! His laugh is infectious! The only thing I'm hooked up to occasionally is my lovely calf massagers (Yeay! Free massages!). They help keep your blood from pooling and forming clots when you're bed-ridden.

The past two days have been uneventful as far as baby status goes. Everything is remaining steady and calm for now. I have a contraction every once in a while, but nothing consistent or concerning. Baby is kicking away and has a strong heartbeat every time they check, so that’s also a good thing. I’m closing in on 30 weeks, another huge praise. Every day is a gift.

I’ve had lots of visitors to keep me company and keep things interesting and moving along. Our pastor and elders stopped by yesterday (Sunday) since I could not attend church, and brought a mini church service to me, complete with communion. Our pastor has this really cool communion travel kit and we put it to good use. I’m thankful for them and their commitment to the people of our congregation and carrying out what God has given them to do in such caring and thoughtful ways.

Well, free from all cords, tubes, and wires anyway. Last night I got my last dose of IV antibiotics and they took out my IV port. Now I don’t have to be quite so careful about having the kiddos up on the bed with me and such, which is nice. They have been very sweet and careful with their Mommy so far! Ezra only knocked me once, and that was my fault since I was tickling him. I can’t resist tickling that boy! His laugh is infectious! The only thing I'm hooked up to occasionally is my lovely calf massagers (Yeay! Free massages!). They help keep your blood from pooling and forming clots when you're bed-ridden.
The past two days have been uneventful as far as baby status goes. Everything is remaining steady and calm for now. I have a contraction every once in a while, but nothing consistent or concerning. Baby is kicking away and has a strong heartbeat every time they check, so that’s also a good thing. I’m closing in on 30 weeks, another huge praise. Every day is a gift.
I’ve had lots of visitors to keep me company and keep things interesting and moving along. Our pastor and elders stopped by yesterday (Sunday) since I could not attend church, and brought a mini church service to me, complete with communion. Our pastor has this really cool communion travel kit and we put it to good use. I’m thankful for them and their commitment to the people of our congregation and carrying out what God has given them to do in such caring and thoughtful ways.
Nick came and hung out for the afternoon as well. We had a nice, quiet time. He got to catch a nap and I was working on some knitting. We have quite a few friends who have had babies in recent weeks!
Yesterday Nick and I got to go tour the NICU in preparation for what is most likely to come at some point. It is highly unlikely that I will go full-term, so we wanted to have a look and be a little more prepared for what time in the NICU (and potentially LOTS of time) would look like. Our tour guide was one of the nurses that works the ward. He was VERY knowledgeable, kind-hearted and passionate about his job. All things I would hope and pray for in NICU staff. It was amazing to see all the high-tech stuff they have and do there. At times, it was overwhelming. They have a bed (isolette) prepared for our baby when he or she makes their grand appearance. Seeing all the bottles, tubes, wires, medications, etc., sitting there on the table was a little intense, but it comforted me to know that all that knowledge and care will be with our baby. Again, I am SO THANKFUL that we have American facilities right here by our home, as there really is a difference, especially when it comes to very delicate and serious health issues. The staff is highly trained and up to current standards. We saw a wall of former NICU residents who have “graduated” and are now grown children. One of them was only 10.7 ounces when she was born! What a miracle. We got a lot of our questions answered, which helps ease our minds a bit. It’s very reassuring knowing that our baby will be in very good hands.
Stella is going to hang out with Mommy this afternoon for some good alone time, which will be fun. I think we’ll paint our fingernails. J Ezra seems to be doing just fine. Apparently he has mastered Stella’s bouncy ball (the kind with handles on it that you sit and bounce on). I wish they could bring it here so I could see it, but I’m sure he’d end up knocking something important (and expensive!) over if he did. He’s much more reckless and daring than his sister! Things he enjoys while visiting—graham crackers, ice water (hospitals have the BEST ice), and pushing Mommy in the wheel chair when I need to go somewhere. He’s quite the little helper.
Other than that, things are pretty much the same. Nick went back to work today for the first time in two weeks, which is an adjustment, for sure, especially without me at home. Our “normal” life is gearing up again, but with a different twist. Stella went back to kindergarten today, too. It should be good for her to be back to her school with her friends and things around to play with.
Current prayer requests:
*For baby to turn the rest of the way and be head down, instead of somewhat sideways as it is now.
*For continued protection against infection, or other complications that could send us in to an emergency situation.
*For Nick as he balances work and a changed home-life, and being able to see me as much as possible.
*For our kids, as Mommy is just not present at home at all. They’ve been doing very well, but I know it’s hard for them. Stella has asked multiple times if she can spend the night with me, but it’s against the hospital’s policy.
*For my parents, as they care for our kids and home, and Nick as well. It can be stressful at times with two young children.
*For me—to not go stir-crazy! I’ve been doing great so far, and have started settling into a pseudo routine, which helps. I have plenty of reading material and knitting to keep me busy and feeling productive and not just a huge slob.
3 comments:
Loved seeing the new pictures of you, and your personal wheelchair assistant! Thanks for a great update. Love, Sue
The Ezra Pushing Mommy picture is the best! :)
I'm glad that you two got a NICU tour. It's a scary situation, but always comforting to know that you're in good hands.
Love all the pictures and updates Heather! You're doing great! Keep cooking that baby!
Post a Comment