Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Daily life in a hospital bed


Well, things are still stable for the moment. Baby is doing well, still, and I'm feeling good. I thought it might be fun to give you a snapshot of what a day here looks like. (It's really not too exciting!)

Here's a few shots of my little (and I mean little!) room:
The door on the left goes out to the hallway, middle is the closet and right is the bathroom.
To my left in this shot is my window. Right now there's a few snowflakes floating around outside.


The staff usually gets breakfast to me around 7 or 7:30 (a couple mornings it was 6:30! I just let it sit while I caught another hour of sleep. I mean, really!). The nurses come around for vital checks, making sure we're all still alive and well. I alarmed a nurse one morning when my BP was in the 90s/40s. A bit low, but, seriously, I was half asleep. Obviously I was not having any invigorating dreams that morning! A vitamin and a good-ole Colace (keeps ya regular!), and we're off for the day.

I have shower privileges, so I usually get one in the morning before too long. Thankfully the shower room is just across the hall (I have private bathroom in my room, but not the shower), so I don't have to walk far (it's just such a hassle, ya know? All that walking...). It's amazing how refreshing a simple hot shower can be when you sit on your butt all day. Makes you feel like a real person again.

At some point in the morning, I get to take my most exciting excursion of the day--a trip to Labor and Delivery for my non-stress test. They take BP and pulse/oxygen levels, and moniter baby and belly for heartrate and any contractions for about 20 minutes. One thing that is kind of fun is that on the moniter screen you can see all the other moniters in the other rooms of L&D, so you can see the status of other moms in labor. Lots of high peaks usually means a baby is on the way pretty soon. Simple entertainment.

Back in my room again, I usually get some emailing or blog posting done, and then spend the rest of the morning reading or watching something (if there's anything worth watching) on TV while knitting. I might have a visitor or two stop by, too, which is always a good time. I must say, I really enjoy my quiet mornings. It's oceans away from one or two boistrous children, though I do miss them terribly! The only thing that would make it better is a cup of GOOD coffee. I do have good tea available, though, so it's not so bad.


Next up is lunch. My parents usually visit with the kids for lunch time, and I end up with both kids on the bed, mild chaos, and crumbs absolutely everywhere, but it's a fun time. The hang out for about an hour and a half or two hours, and then take Ezra home for a nap (we've found 2 hours is about all he can handle being cooped up here. After that, the buttons that move my bed up and down and that big, fat, glowing red call-the-nurse button are just more than he can resist anymore. You should see the look on his face when he checks to see if I'm watching him...it's priceless! He has found great entertainment from the big tube from the "hospital hooka." He turns it into a trumpet of sorts and strolls around the room tooting it with all his might. Quite funny. I'll have to get a video of it.) Stella has been able to hang out with me a couple afternoons, and other times has gone home. It's been very good for both her and I to have some one-on-one time together. We draw or color, watch some BBC kids shows (some great ones out there!), paint our toenails, read books, etc. It's been fun.

Throughout the day nurses poke their heads in periodically to take vitals or read fetal hear tones, etc. I've had a great time getting to know some of the nurses on the floor. I'm grateful to say that there's not been one crabby or mean or disgruntled one yet. Most are very friendly and kind, and are in good spirits. We have a friend that works the floor, too, so she's been my nurse a few times.

Then, Nick comes as soon as he can after work. We eat dinner together and hang out for a while, sometimes watching a movie. It's been nice to have some down time together, as it doesn't happen often enough when we're at home.

After he leaves, I usually stay up for a while, either on email or reading, etc. again. I try not to stay up too late, even though it seems like it would be fun. I know I need my rest, too, for baby's sake.

Like I said, not terribly interesting, but it makes the days go by fairly quickly. I'm on day 10 now, which is hard to believe! It seems like I just got here yesterday.

One important thing that happened today in particular is that I got to meet the high-risk OB. We had a great conversation detailing my situation, and what to look out for. She gave me a few worst-case scenarios (definitely a little sobering and scary, but hopefully will not be our situation), and what to look out for. Basically at this point, we wait. If nothing happens for the next two weeks (I'm at 30 now), great! At 32 weeks they'll start monitering for signs of mature lung development. Once they see signs of that, or I reach 34 weeks, they will induce. She said that after 34 weeks the risks associated with infection are higher than the risks associated with a 34 week preemie, so that's why they would induce rather than wait any longer. So, sometime between now and the first week of February, we'll have a baby! (Maybe for my birthday?) I'll be going down to the high-risk OB's clinic this week sometime for her to do a full ultrasound (4D, too!) and check-up to see how baby is growing, etc. One thing she did mention is that with a baby in transverse position, like this one was last we checked, is that there is some risk of the cord being delivered first. That is a BAD thing, as it would tend to cut off the circulation of the cord, which means baby is getting no oxygen. Hopefully, again, this will not be our case. I'm eager to get another ultrasound (especially the 4D ones-they're so cool!), and get to see a visual of baby again. We should have a picture to post after that, too. Assuming baby's cooperative, of course. This one has liked to hide.

Current prayer concerns:
*For baby to stay well and stay in my belly until lung development can occur.
*For baby to turn head DOWN and enable a natural delivery.
*For none of the major complications to be in our future.
*For Nick, as he's getting some resistance from his higher-ups about his leave status last week when he wasn't at work because I was here and incapacitated.
*For the kids to hang in there while Mommy is away.
*For my parents who are caring for the kids to have lots and lots of patience and lots of FUN with the kiddos.
*For my own sanity. (Believe me, in this area, your prayers are working so far! It is not of my own strength that I have been so calm throughout this whole ordeal, and knowing there's more to come. I have not given over to fear or anxiety, but rest knowing that I am well cared for by a God who loves me more than I can imagine.)

1 comment:

Mike Jorgenson said...

Nick and Heather
Nice to catch up with you via blog. We know what you're going through having gone through a complicated pregnancy with Alma-now 10 years old. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. Your kids are beautiful-I had fun showing our 3 kids their cousins in Deutschland. We're currently stuck in the middle of a Midwestern blizzard anticipating -20 temps tonite. Heather if it helps pass the time here's the link to Kathy's blog. http://blog.lib.umn.edu/draeg001/regionalpartnerships/ It somewhat documents our move back to the prairie. Take care and our love to you all. Mike Jorgenson