Nick and I got a chance to meet with the high-risk OB that works here at the hospital this morning. She spent a good 30-40 minutes with an ultrasound wand on my belly, checking baby inside and out. Growth-wise, baby looks good, and content. She saw signs of fetal lung movements, and a great heartbeat. Right now she estimates baby is about 3 pounds and 3-4 ounces. Not too bad for size! I do wish I had some ultrasound pics to show you, but apparently when the amnio fluid is gone, you can't see much definition because you don't have the contrast (space, really, that it fills between the uterine wall and baby), so the pictures aren't distinguishable (because they're SO easy to see anyway!). You'll get to see him or her soon enough!
Baby is still in a breech position (I think earlier it wasn't in a full transverse position, just partial), and will MOST likely not be changing. Doc said it would be nothing short of a miracle without having any amniotic fluid to move in. They would not attempt any kind of manipulation to encourage baby to flip, either, as this could be traumatic and dangerous. What that means, then, is I'm looking at a very very high likelyhood of having a c-section, which, to be perfectly honest, kind of freaks me out. I know many MANY people have had them and they've been perfectly fine, and I'm not really concerned about complications from surgery per se. I think it's mostly a mental hurdle of "this is so NOT what I pictured ever needing to happen," as both of my previous births have been as hands-off, no medical intervention, etc. (i.e. no drugs). A c-section is basically the complete opposite of that, recovery is totally different, and it's just completely out of my range of knowledge and experience. So, all you readers out there, anything you can suggest, I'm open for! Nick is bringing the pregnancy book we have so I can read up on it (since I completely skipped that section for my previous pregnancies!).
What is comforting to me right now is knowing that the Drs. here are very skilled, and over all of that, God is in control. A verse that has been running through my mind the past few days is from Isaiah 46:3-4, "Listen to me, O house of Jacob, all the remnant of the house of Israel, who have been borne by me from before your birth, carried from the womb; even to your old age I am he, and to gray hairs I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save." It gives me chills!
So that's basically the news for now. Nick and my dad are going to be coming in a little while to watch the re-play of the championship football game last night (even though they know who won already!). Should be a relaxed Friday evening. AND I hear it's supposed to snow pretty substantially tonight/this weekend, so hopefully they can get out with the kiddos and PLAY. I know they could use it! Hope you all have a great weekend and we'll keep you posted!
Friday, January 08, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
It's funny because there is NOTHING in me that ever wants a natural birth!! I WANT a c-section! Just remember that all will be fine, people have them all the time, and it's best for the baby so smile! :-) Mommy will not have to work so hard this time! hehe Love you Lots!! Britt
It's so good to read your blog, Heather, and to know you are doing pretty well mentally and physically - except for this c-section stuff. I was always EXACTLY like you - did NOT ever want a c-section. But, fortunately for me, I never needed one. I do know many friends who had them and all went well for every one of them. Prayers will be with you that you can overcome the 'fear' and just give all your worries to the Lord. He will make sure Mommy and Baby do well!
Thoughts and Prayers to You All,
Cathie Sather
Heather,
I found your blog from Amy's. I have had 4 c-sections so if you have any questions, 2 there at Landstuhl, please don't hesitate to write. I never had a "natural" birth so I can't do any comparison but I can help you with what to expect. And it is totally normal to be anxious. Once you see your beautiful baby it won't matter how he/she got here. Best of luck.
Robyn Allen
Nick and Heather!
I just wanted to let you know that there are many prayers being said for you and little one at this very moment! God's got you and your family in His hands!
><>, Natalie
Post a Comment