Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Schultes are back with a Vengeance!

Let's see... Been a while, eh? I'll just skip the last... well, year and a half (whoops!) and cut to where we are now...

Sunday, as I was standing in my kitchen about to put a pizza in the oven for supper, my water broke. I'm only 28 weeks pregnant at this point, so we called the hospital and an ambulance was called. While waiting for my chariot ride, I laid on the floor in the bathroom and helped Nick figure out who and what needed to go where. I wish we had one of those time-lapse videos of this 10 minutes. It would be hilarious to watch! We got friends called to come pick up Ezra and Stella, and Stella helped pack a bag for them to go spend the night with their buddies. They were not afraid at all, my little troopers, but very excited to sleep over. Nick was running around like a mad man until the EMTs showed up. I figured they would take me to the German hospital, since I've been seen for prenatal care at a German facility, but they gave me the choice to go to the American hospital on base, and we took it. The hospital where I delivered Ezra does not have a NICU, so that was not a good choice, and the nearest German hospital that does is 30 minutes away. The base is much closer, and familiar, and hey!, they speak English. We are so thankful to be here, as it makes it much more comfortable for us to be closer to home and not having any kind of translation issues with emergency care, especially when it affects not one but two lives. That being said...

I was lifted onto a neon orange sling-like stretcher thing (would have had Nick take a picture of my ride, but he was busy helping get me down the stairs and the icy driveway to the ambulance), and rode away to the hospital. Upon arrival, the docs and nurses were very orderly and extremely friendly. Our spirits were high this whole time, and we were not overly concerned. I was having some contractions by that point, so the OB that was on duty came and spoke with us, taking us through what would be happening right away. They started me on a couple different IV meds--one to stop contractions, an antibiotic to prevent infections, etc. Also a steroid shot to help baby's lung development. 28 weeks, though early, is a better time for this to happen than even a week ago, for which we are very thankful. The goal at this point is to get us 48 hours WITHOUT delivery so steroids can take full effect and help baby as much as possible. Beyond that, every day is an added blessing. They hooked me up to all kinds of monitering devices--monitering contractions, baby's heartrate (strong and consistent!), my oxygen levels, blood pressure, etc. The meds to inhibit labor have potential side effects of supressing all other smooth- and involuntary muscle functions as well, which is why everything needs to be monitered closely. Nick took a picture of the "hospital hooka" as we've dubbed it, which helps me practice breathing deeply enough so baby and I get enough oxygen. I literally have something hooked up to every appendage, and am on full bed rest. While it is frustrating to not even be able to get something that drops on the floor (have they invented go-go-gadget arms yet?), I am thankful for the wonderful care we have received. All the nurses and Drs. are very knowledgeable and caring.

I did not get much sleep that first night, as they came and checked on me about every 30 minutes, not to mention my mental state of just trying to wrap my mind around how this changes EVERYTHING for the next couple months. The next day (Monday), I was quite groggy and managed to catch a nap in the afternoon. Stella came for a visit and we watched Up! together while Ezra napped at our friends' house. We had many phone calls and multiple visitors, which really helped the day fly. I got a little knitting in (which, by the way, I am very thankful I am able to do, even with IVs and moniter hook-ups galore!), and watched a movie. Monday night was better, as the interruptions were less frequent and I was TOTALLY BEAT, and able to fall asleep much easier.


Right now it's Tuesday afternoon and things are well. Contractions have stopped (praise God!), which means the meds are doing what they are supposed to do. Our main first goal is to get to the 48 hour point, which is fast approaching, yet another praise. Our status right now is good. Baby is happy, kicking around and moving a lot, bloodpressure and stats are looking good. The Drs. have said that it looks like a normal, health 29 (today!) week old baby in there, which is also a good sign. Baby is in a breech position at the moment, and is not at a point where it is recommended to try a natural delivery in that position, as the head is of a bigger circumference than the body and could get lodged during delivery. If anything were to happen right NOW, we would be looking at a C-section. If baby is able to "cook" a little longer and grow, and everything is aligned right with feet and head and all in a breech position, they could potentially deliver without surgery in a breech position. Our prayer is that baby will turn and it will be a non-issue.

Basically, we're in a waiting game to see what is in store for us. I will be in the hospital until baby is born, as the amniotic fluid is too low to allow me to go home. As long as there is no sign of infection, vitals for me and baby stay good, and no more onset of labor that cannot be stalled, this is where we will be for who knows how long. Could be a few days or a few weeks. If I could get to 34 weeks, they'll go ahead and encourage labor. Either way, we'll be in the hospital a LOT for the next couple months. If baby comes early, the NICU will be our home away from home until March. Our due date is March 16.

As far as how we're doing all around, I have to admit, we are incredible blessed by all of you folks who are reading this right now, and a wonderful God and Savior who, unlike us, are not surprised by this turn of events. We thank God for putting all of you in our lives, to be able to get into circumstances like this and know confidently that our children, family, home, and whole lives are lifted up in His hands through you. We could not do this alone. My parents are flying in on Thursday, and will be here with us through mid-January.

Stella and Ezra seem to be doing okay, especially since they get a lot of time with their good friends. They've been "camping out" on the floor at night. :) Stella and Ezra both came by for a visit today, which I was thankful for, as I do miss them terribly. Unfortunately, it's very hard to have them in the hospital, especially when I'm so "plugged in" and can't hold them properly, etc. Stella and Ezra were both very curious about all the different cables and screens and what they all meant. You could tell they were a little uneasy, but I truly think it was more concern for Mommy than anything else. They seemed to take it in stride, and enjoyed eating ice chips and watching a cartoon. Daddy took them out to lunch and to play on the indoor play park. Nick will be back soon to hang out for the evening before he's off to home for a good night's sleep in bed, instead of the recliner here in my room.

As far as Nick, his work has been very helpful with having no problems giving him the time off he needs this week. He plans to go in next week and work, as long as I'm doing okay and still stable. We are thankful for a supportive squadron and military community as well. Even the hospital is great, as I sit here and type on a loaner lap top in my room, using the WiFi. We can call the States for free and talk to our families. The support is honestly, lavishly overwhelming (in a good way!).

I'm going to try and give updates as we have them, to keep all you folks informed and comforted. We'll get pictures up as possible, too. :) Hopefully I'll get a chance to wash my hair one of these days...

As far as specific prayer requests, they are as follows:

*For baby to TURN head down and allow for a natural delivery (Ezra was 9 lb 6 oz, so delivering
a preemie should be a piece of cake, right? :) )

*For baby to stay in utero as long as possible, so proper development can take place

*For all of our mental, emotional, and spiritual stamina, as we have a long road ahead of us, no
matter what happens

*For Stella and Ezra, that we can maintain as much normalcy as possible and Mama can have as
much love-on-them time as possible.

*For all of those Drs., nurses, friends, and family who are going to be helping us out. Thank you
all, again for all you're doing already.

*That above all else, God would be praised and glorified throughout.

There are so many ways this situation could have been a lot (or even just a little) more difficult, but God has seen fit to do otherwise. Thankfully, my water broke AFTER Christmas, so we were able to spend all last week together at home as a family (Nick was off work), and celebrate as normal (I even got to putting the house back in order after all the paper unwrapping, and even my post-present making mess was taken care of!). We were able to come to the American hospital, a HUGE blessing. And, as I've said before, our wonderful community here through our church and our friends and family around the world, there's just not words to capture what it means to us. We love all of you and will keep you in our prayers as well.

9 comments:

RT said...

Heather, this post brought tears to my eyes. You are doing what you need to do, glorifying God in the process--what a beautiful thing. We are all praying for you from Lincoln. Hang in there, friend!

Anna said...

Thanks so much for your update. Wish I could knit something for this little one as you did for me....Maybe I can send a little Hawaiian cheer:) Praying for you.

Anna for the Sterners:)

Christina said...

Praying, dear! Thank you for the update. I don't do baby lingo, but you and Nick do a great job of explaining for those of us that are baby-inept.

Jason Morehead said...

The Moreheads are praying for you.

We went through a very similar situation with Simon (Renae was on complete bedrest for three weeks before his delivery), so we know what you're going through. It's not easy, but having an awesome support system of friends, family, etc., makes it easier, so take lots of comfort in that.

We can't wait to see the newest Schulte, but hope that we'll have to wait a little longer before we do.

Faith said...

I am so glad that you're writing about your experience -- not only to keep your worldwide community of friends and family informed, but also to give you a place to look back on later. You continue to be in my near constant thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the list of specifics -- that helps me to pray in a more focused manner.

Note to baby: hey there little person! Play in there a bit longer! We all want to meet you and stuff, but it would be cool if you could grow JUST a bit more... :)

The Jeffersons said...

Hey guys...our thoughts and prayers are with your entire family during this time. Thank you for all the updates- it really helps us to know how to pray for you. -The Jeffersons

The_Flower_Pot said...

Schultes, We love you guys and are praying for you!
b,A,i

the author said...

Heather, I LOVE reading through your eyes about your experience - keep up the blogging and we'll keep up the praying. Can't wait to come see you! My company leaves tomorrow and then Sarah and I are planning on making lots of visits.

Anonymous said...

Nick & Heather ~
Sue told us a little about your situation and asked for prayers. We started right away and wanted you to know that we are lifting you two and your children up in our prayers. What a blessing it will be to have your parents there, Heather. Thoughts and prayers continue to be with you all.
God Bless,
Brian & Cathie Sather